The Tale of the Teapot Hero’s Revenge Chapter 27 - Traps in the Forest



[Previous | Table of Contents | Next]

 

Chapter 27 - Traps in the Forest

 

Even in daylight, the Great Forest felt eerie. In the forest where mysterious cries could be heard, we advanced with Joanna at the forefront. The ground was muddy and slippery from melted snow, making it difficult to walk.

"It's scarier than the road..."

"Sorry for getting you involved."

Mel-chan didn't want to get involved in something dangerous, but leaving her alone in that place would be even more dangerous. I thougth it's safer for her to be with us.

"Well, I can use magic, so I can fight if necessary!"

Ah, come to think of it, she’s a mage. Magic... my power seemed to fall under the category of magic as well.

"Hey, about magic, for example, after creating fire, you can change its shape or throw it, right? How do you do that?"

"Even if you ask me how, that's just how it is. I can't explain it any further. That's the way it is."

Ah, she didn't seem to know much about it, huh? Well, she's still very young, so it couldn't be helped.

"You haven't been thinking rude things just now, have you?"

"I-I am not!"

"That's a lie. This is frustrating, so I'll explain properly."

Surprisingly sharp, this child. She saw through me easily.

"First, you create fire with your magical power, right?"

"Yeah, yeah."

"Since that fire is filled with your own magical power, you can control it as you wish. But why you can control it, the reason for that is completely unknown."

"I see. So I'm using something I don't really understand."

"I don't really understand it either, but everyone can control it as if it's natural. It's said that it's because they believe that everything they think is possible can actually be done. Well, generating flames or earth itself requires various complex theories and formulas."

In other words. The reason why it could be manipulated was really not well understood.

...If you believe you could do it, then you could make it. Does that also apply to my "Boiling"? If so…


***Read at novelworldtranslations.blogspot.com***

***Please check out ko-fi.com/kettle1***

***In there you can support me and you can also get to read advance chapters!***


"Both of you, stop."

Joanna's ordered to stop. Both Mel-chan and I stopped in our tracks.

"Look, there are thin threads stretching from this bush to the other side where we can't see."

"Is this a trap?"

Joanna noded and flicked it with her finger.

*Whoosh* *Swoosh*

Three arrows flew and pierced the trunk of a tree just one step ahead.

"It's a primitive trap, but be careful because you'll die if you get hit."

Mel-chan nodded repeatedly, pale-faced. Was she alright? I was worried.

After that, we navigated through traps such as pitfalls with wooden spears and rolling rocks, and kept moving deeper and deeper. The footprints on the mud served as our guide, leading us further in. This was clearly a bait.

"What do they intend to do with these traps?"

"I don't know. It's certainly nothing good."

I agreed. But no matter what traps awaited us, I'd crush them all and kill Renkino. I’d definitely rescue Beato and make them regret laying a hand on her.

I wondered how far we'd come as we finally spotted a building inside the forest. It's a shabby wooden house made from the surrounding trees.

"...Is that it?"

"It seems so. Now, how should we approach?"

We hid in the bushes and observed the situation. So far, only traps had been laid, and there hadn't been a single attack by the small fries. All the survivors must be lurking inside.

"Mel-chan, what kind of magic can you do?"

"I'm good at earth magic. I can throw big rocks and stuff."

"Alright, do it... Nah, it would be bad to hit that dilapidated house. Beato might get crushed too."

"You're letting your murderous intent get the better of you. Let's be a bit more calm. They won't harm Beato-chan, I'm sure."

They had prioritized capturing Beato rather than killing me. I didn't understand it well, but she must be important.

"...Can you create small stones with your magic and throw them? I want you to break a window."

There didn't seem to be any presence around the windows. Even if stones flew in from there, they shouldn't hit Beato. They wouldn't hit the enemies either, though.

"They might think it's an attack and come rushing out."

"Understood! Mmm..."

As Mel-chan concentrated, a large number of small stones appear out of nowhere, floating around her. They were definitely created out of thin air just now, without a doubt. Magic is amazing.

"Rock Rush...!"

Whispering softly, the stones rushed towards the window at great speed. They shattered the glass, reached the opposite wall, and pierce through to the other side. If these were aimed at humans, their bodies would be riddled with holes. Mel-chan might be more reliable than I thought.

"Phew, nothing happened, huh?"

Surprisingly, nothing happened. No one rushed out, and there were no glimpses of shadows from the window. We didn't even hear footsteps.

"This is definitely unnatural. Maybe..."

The possibility that no one was inside started to cross my mind. Beato might have been taken elsewhere, and we were led astray. If that's the case, it's quite problematic.

"...Let's go and see."

We nodded at each other and slowly approached. We reached the window of the dilapidated house and peeked inside. No one was there. Did we lose them after all?

*Rustle, rustle, rustle!*

"Welcome to my hideout! Welcome!"

Oh, thank goodness, we didn't lose them. They must have surrounded us when we got close to the hut, hiding in the surrounding bushes. Such lackluster tactics, trying to encircle us again. About ten small fries were steadily approaching us, and Renkino was on the other side of their encirclement.

"...!" "...!"

And Beato, too, was held by Renkino. ...Alright, with that distance, Beato was safe.

"Mel-chan, can you kill people?"

"Huh? ...Huh?"

"Sorry, it's impossible, right? Forget it."

Yeah, it's not right to expect Mel-chan to be capable of killing. I didn't want a ten-year-old girl to become a murderer.

"Joanna, take Mel-chan inside the house. Leave this to me."

"Hold on, is your head heating up again?"

"I'm calm, so it's alright."

"...Fine, I understand. You must have a plan."

Yes, I did have a plan. I just didn't want them to get caught up in it.

Once I confirmed that the two have jumped into the house, I placed my hands on the ground. In this forest, the trees were so densely packed that sunlight barely reached the ground, so the soil wouldn't dry up. Even while coming here, the melted snow turned the ground into mud, making it difficult to walk. It's filled with water.

(...Believing that magic can be done is important.)

Anything should be possible, logic had nothing to do with it. I recalled what Mel-chan taught me and sent my magical power into the ground. Instead of boiling the mud on the spot, I let the magical power seep into the moist soil and when it reached the feet of the twelve small fries approaching me, I let it boil.

*Boom!

The ground exploded, and scorching hot mud scattered along with the stones on the ground. Yes, it worked. It's a direct hit.

"AAAHHHH!!"

"What the hell is this? It hurts! It's hot!"

Since the mud was stuck to them, it only spread when they try to brush it off. And the "Boiling" didn't stop. The stones also flew out with tremendous force, attacking the enemies just like Mel-chan's magic earlier. The men writhe in agony, drenched in boiling mud. Some were pierced through by large stones and were lying dead. I then sprinted at full speed and...

"Apit!" "Bigyaa!"

By touching their heads, their brains scattered, and everyone died in an instant.

"What...! What is this... Stupid...!"

"Now, only you remain."

"Don't mess with me... The gift of a brat like the Hero wasn't a useless ability, was it...!?"

Ah, they indeed underestimated me. That's why they ended up wiped out and dead. Seriously, fools.


[Previous | Table of Contents | Next]

Comments