The Tale of the Teapot Hero’s Revenge Chapter 50 - Night before the decisive battle



[Previous | Table of Contents | Next]

 

Chapter 50 - Night before the decisive battle

 

My name is Belle, and I’m just a slave. Because I looked just like Princess Pernelle, I was picked up as her double, but I was still just a slave.

To be able to replace the princess, I was educated from scratch, learned to read and write, and learned manners. It was strict training, but much better than when I was a slave. Just having delicious meals and a warm bed was heaven for me.

I hid secretly in the depths of the mansion, though. So I have no freedom. I was pretending to be Princess Pernelle now; not even allowed to use my real name. But even so, being able to live as a princess in the castle is heaven compared to when I was a slave.

"Pernelle-sama, it's Ilyria. May I come in?"

"Yes, please."

I calmly responded to the voice of the attendant knight, and smiled at Ilyria when she entered.

Right now, I am Pernelle. The second princess of this country, Pernelle Pertrant Deltilard. I played the role perfectly to the depths of my heart.

"The chosen date was finally decided yesterday after the discussion with Gilius-dono. It will be tomorrow, at sunset."

"I see, finally. I'm sure my siblings will lose their lives as well. It pains my heart..."

At a time like this, Princess Pernelle would probably say something like that.

I currently sat by the window, looking into the distance with a distant gaze.

"Princess, I understand how you feel. However—"

"Yes, I know. This is the path I have chosen to take. Please swing your sword without hesitation, Ilyria, no matter what happens."

I said such things, tickling the loyalty of the attendant knight. Ilyria was simple, so she quickly got enthusiastic.

"Yes!"

I drew out the motivation of my pawn like this and use them to my advantage. That's the princess's job, right? That's how I understood it.

"...By the way, Ilyria. What should I do on the day itself?"

"Gilius-dono will take command. Princess Pernelle, please just remain seated in the main camp, on the training grounds. We will take care of everything else."

"I see. I'm counting on you, Ilyria."

At that moment, was it me, Pernelle, who would be in the main camp, or was it the real one? I felt a little uneasy.

...Either way, it didn't matter. During the revolution, I’d  just the role they’d give me.

"...Princess Pernelle, is something bothering you?"

...Huh? My acting was supposed to be perfect. I was supposed to be maintaining a perfect smile. Was my true thoughts really seen through by this dim-witted person?

"Don't worry."

I took her hand and gave her a smile.

"I will protect you no matter what. I will protect you at all costs, even with my life."

A kiss on the back of my hand.

"...You will protect me, even me?"

"Yes, without fail."

...Right now, I am Princess Pernelle. But this pounding in my chest? Was this also something Princess Pernelle feels? Not knowing anything, I continued to played the role of Princess Pernelle in confusion.

 

***Read at novelworldtranslations.blogspot.com***

***Please check out ko-fi.com/kettle1!***

***In there you can support me and you can also get to read advance chapters!***

 

"Finally, tomorrow, huh..."

"Yeah, tomorrow. The revenge that has lasted so long will finally come to an end."

The night before the assault, Raid and I were drinking while spreading out the castle's layout in the basement. Since the day when my parents were burned alive, ten years have passed. There had also been many sacrifices. For example, Mr. Cain, and also Strah.

"She seemed affected, huh? Strah's reaction from yesterday."

"...It feels a bit late, doesn't it? I haven't been forcing her into Resistance activities for a long time now. She's allowed to participate in strategy meetings, though."

It's probably good to know, even though it's just that much, they must have been fed up with it.

"Teaching that little one all sorts of things was just all my ego imposing on her. I thought she also want to reclaim her homeland. You getting serious was also one of the reasons that got me fired up."

Certainly, Raid was amazing after that day. He started special training in magic, even in martial arts that ge wasn't good at. Besides Resistance activities, he was always reading military strategy books.

"I felt your determination, and it made me happy. ...But it was a mistake to expect the same from Strah."

She had her own way of life that she desires. Unfortunately, I failed to understand that, so I might be an unfitting older brother for her.

"Well, anyway, it will all be over tomorrow. After that, I won't have to involve Strah with the Resistance or anything like that. Let her do whatever she wants, whether it's housework or love."

"And what about you? What will you do after this battle is over?"

"What? Don't think about that now, it's bad luck."

"Is that so? I want to go back to our hometown and see the sea. I want to go fishing and relax by the seaside with you again."

"Stop it, you'll jinx us, you know?"

I drunk my sake and slammed the empty cup on the table.

"I don't think about the future. I only think about tomorrow, and bet everything on tomorrow. As for what happens after it's all over... well, I'll think about it when it's over."

"...Haha, that's so like you. But, you have a point."

Raid finished his drink, slamming the cup on the table, too.

"I'll bet everything on tomorrow too. It's all for your victory."

"Our victory, right? I'm counting on you, partner."

 

***Read at novelworldtranslations.blogspot.com***

***Please check out ko-fi.com/kettle1!***

***In there you can support me and you can also get to read advance chapters!***

 

Pernelle, no, it's Bell now, was hiding in the basement all the time until Ilyria returned.

She had become really close with Mel-chan and they were currently singing together. Looking at her like that, she really looked like an ordinary girl. Her playing with Mel-chan looked somewhat childish, and a question popped into my head.

"...Hey, Joanna. How old is Princess Pernelle?"

"She's thirteen, why?"

I see, she's younger than me and Beato. But the thirteenth prince I met yesterday seemed older than me. The first prince, Tario, must be in his late twenties, right?

"But, the second princess...? Thirteen years old... Wait a minute..."

"You seem bothered by the age. It's nice to see you showing interest in others, Onee-san."

"Shut up. If you know, then tell me."

...Lately, I had been told that I've changed a lot. If that's really true, it's probably because of Beato—yes, it's Beato's fault.

"To answer Kyrie-chan's question, the first princess is fourteen. And the thirteenth prince is fifteen."

"It's obviously strange, right?"

"There's a drug for pregnant women. A drug that can manipulate the gender of the fetus."

Haa, I could guess most of it.

"First, Brutogyu desired game pieces for war. So, he wanted boys with high combat power. And then, a girl who would become a tool for political strife."

"Okay, I get it. That guy is a piece of shit. That's all I need to understand."

I see. He didn't even see his own children as anything but tools. I must kill him even more now.

After a surprisingly normal day, it's already time to sleep. Even though tomorrow was the day, I didn't feel any sense of restlessness. I was calm.

Maybe it's thanks to Strah being as usual. Delicious meals as usual, and her lecturing the leader. It felt like things would still remain to normal when we return.

Knock, knock.

"...Hmm, who is it?"

"..."

There's no response. That must be Beato. Did she come to sleep together today as well?

"You can come in."

"..."

I gave permission, and Beato in her pajamas entered, holding a pillow. This child was also acting as usual.

"..."

...But, I noticed that she has a worried expression. After placing the pillow on the bed, she spread out parchment paper and took out a brush. It seemed like she has something to say.

"Tomorrow, huh."

"Yeah, tomorrow. We'll finish everything tomorrow."

"Absolutely, please come back safely."

"I don't plan to die. I won't do anything reckless, and I won't charge ahead alone."

"Absolutely, absolutely."

"It's okay—oops."

She hugged me tightly, and we both rolled onto the bed together. It's like I'd been pushed down. She's lying on top of me, resting her head on my chest, but she didn't feel heavy at all.

"Don't suddenly hug me like that, it's dangerous..."

"..."

Beato, were you trembling a little? I wondered what's wrong.

"...Could it be that you're worried? That I won't come back?"

"..."

She nodded, still burying her face in my chest. I see. I must have made her anxious again.

...I really didn't like it when Beato looks so distressed. I wanted her to smile. How could I ease her anxiety? I thought for a moment and came up with an idea.

"...Then, hold onto this hairpin."

"...?"

The wing-shaped hairpin that I've had with me all along. It was a birthday present from Claire. I removed my most precious treasure.

"This is a memento from my sister."

"!!?"

"I'll entrust it to you, Beato."

I put it on the bangs of the surprised Beato, which surprisingly suited her.

"..."

...She's shaking her head left and right. She's probably saying that she couldn't accept such an important thing, I was sure.

"I'm not giving it to you. Just keep it for me. I'll come back to get it. Isn't that more trustworthy than a verbal promise?"

I was disappointed that I couldn't take that with me, but I didn't want it to break during the intense battle. It's more reassuring for me if Beato keeps it.

"..."

After thinking for a moment, she nodded and hugged me again. It seemed like she's satisfied.

"Yeah, let's go to sleep then."

"..."

She nodded and descended from on top of me, tightly embracing my head.

"Goodnight, Beato."

"..."

Being enveloped in Beato's warmth and scent, I felt relieved. I didn't want to admit it, but maybe I couldn't do without this child. I soon heard her breathing on top of my head, and my consciousness quickly fell into a dream.

In the dream I had that day, Mom and Claire appeared. A very happy dream of the three of us together. We ate delicious food, and I helped Mom with her work and house chores, and thanked her for everything. I told Claire thanks for the hairpin and we played a lot together.

But in the end, Mom and Claire sent me off and I left home. Before I knew it, I had a swordbreaker hanging from my right hip. I waved goodbye to the two of them and walked without looking back, towards the capital city of Diete and Brutogyo's castle.

 

[Previous | Table of Contents | Next]

Comments

  1. That's all for this week. See you all on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your hard work!

      Delete
  2. Something terrible is going to happen, but I'm not sure what. Is the Princess double going to betray them? Is Strah? Is Brutogyu much more powerful and cunning than they believe? I'm not certain, but I have a very bad feeling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment