[Previous | Table of Contents | Next]
Chapter 51 - Opening the battle
For lunch on this day, each member going into battle had their favorite food served. I had snow rabbit thigh meat. For the leader and Raid-san, it was fried fish. Strah, considerate as always, secretly made it for us.
That child, when thanked by the leader and Raid-san, seemed a bit embarrassed. She says a lot of things with her mouth, but she must worry and love them. It's natural, they were like a family after all.
After finishing my meal, I secretly thanked Strah. I felt a little embarrassed to say it in front of everyone, so I did it when we were alone. It was unlike me, and she was surprised, but I wanted to express my gratitude no matter what. I made up my mind that day that I wouldn't postpone anything for tomorrow if I could do it today.
In the past weeks, I had been dressing as a man to evade the kingdom's watchful eyes. But now that I'm going to kill Brutogyu, that's all in the past. Today marked the farewell to this outfit as well. I shedded it without any particular attachment... But for some reason, Beato looked like she's reluctant to see it go.
"..."
She stared at the shirt I took off. Did she hesitate, pondering to pick it up?
"...Uh, ...mhm..."
She picked it up and shook her head several times.
"..."
Then she folded it and placed it on the table. I wondered what's going on, did she have some kind of struggle?
Well, never mind. I changed into my battle gear. First, I wore the inner garment on my upper body and put on a lightweight chain hauberk over it. It's an armor that Leader prepared to enhance defense without compromising agility.
"...!"
Next, hot pants, knee-high socks, and leather boots for the lower body. Well, ease of movement was a priority. Then, I put on the shirt over the chain hauberk, and it's done for now.
"..."
"Beato, umm, aren't you staring too much?"
"...!!?"
Oh, she turned bright red and jumped onto the bed. Did she think she hadn't been noticed? She was staring at me. She looked at me like she was going to eat me alive.
"...I really don't get you, seriously."
If she wanted to keep looking, it's fine, but really. I attached the Sword Breaker scabbard to my right hip and wore an iron gauntlet on my left hand. With my current strength, Leader judged that it wouldn't hinder my agility, so he procured it for me.
It might just be wishful thinking, but I wanted to increase my defense as much as possible. After all, I didn't know how many consecutive battles there will be until we reach Brutogyu. More importantly, Beato would be staying here. Since we didn't have a healer, we had to rely on healing potions, which were valuable items in limited supply. The main group was allowed to carry only one each, so I had to avoid taking too much damage.
"I'm all set, I guess."
Final check in front of the mirror. All that's left was small items and a leather bag to carry water.
"I'm done. Why don't you get up too, Beato?
"..."
She finally raised her face from the pillow. Oh yeah, that pillow was also mine.
"..."
She came closer to me and timidly tugged at my sleeve, looking anxious. I could somewhat understand what she's thinking. Honestly, even I didn't know if I'll come back alive. But I had this strange feeling that saying it out loud would make it real.
"Take good care of that hairpin, okay?"
"...!!"
It's the wing-shaped hairpin that was now fastening Beato's bangs. I gave it to her so that she would return it to me after the battle. It's a way for me to show my determination to come back alive to her.
"..."
Oops, she hugged me again. This time, I caught her firmly to prevent us from falling. I wouldn't go as far as hugging her back, though.
"I'll be fine. I'll go and finish everything."
"..., ........., ...!"
She clung to me tightly, and we stayed like that for a while. Finally, she let go with a slightly reluctant expression and nodded. I suppose she's saying, 'Go and come back.' Yes, I'll be back.
When I get to the living area, everyone's preparations were already done. It felt like we can leave anytime.
"Kyrie-chan, are you ready?"
"I've been ready from the start."
"Good. We're counting on you, Lady Goddess of Victory."
The leader and Raid-san were equipped with light armor and weapons. They were going to fight as well.
"Onee-san, please come back safely."
"Of course. I won't die until I kill my family's enemy."
"Then, I'll be waiting. I'll be waiting for you with Beato-onee-chan, and Strah-onee-san."
This girl couldn't participate in the battle either. These three would remain here, including Strah.
"Aniki, about something..."
"Yeah, what's up, Strah?"
"...It's nothing. If you die, I'll kill you."
"Don't say something messed-up. Well, I don't plan on dying, so don't worry."
...If you're worried, it's better to say it honestly. Nobody knew if there really will be a tomorrow.
"We'll head out first, Princess."
"Yes, Joana-san. Please take care."
Belle... no, Princess Pernelle would be taken to the castle by Joana. Afterward, Joana would bring the double back to this hideout and then Joana would join the battle afterward.
...I hadn't seen Joana go all out yet, which made me wonder how strong she wass.
"Well then, off we go."
In her usual light tone, Joana took the princess and left through the back door. Now, we're almost ready to leave. The battle I had been waiting for is finally beginning.
***Read at novelworldtranslations.blogspot.com***
***Please check out ko-fi.com/kettle1!***
***In there you can support me and you can also get to read advance chapters!***
Joana-san manipulated the wind and danced in the sky of the royal capital like a bird, reaching the castle in one leap. Frankly, I was surprised by her flight abilities. It was something beyond the scope of wind magic, something else entirely. At least, that's how it felt to me.
In my room's terrace, Gilius and the double, Belle-san, were waiting. After arriving, we then switched places as planned, and now she's being taken by Joana-sama.
"Now, Princess. Please put on the dress and show yourself to everyone."
"Yes, I understand."
Honestly, I felt sorry for Belle-san. I'd taken away her freedom, even her name, for my sake. But on the other hand, I think she understands. If push comes to shove, it is her mission to save me with her life.
I dismissed Gilius and called the head maid to help me change into the dress. Only she and Gilius know about the double, which made me feel a bit guilty for keeping it a secret from that person.
When I finished changing, there was a knock on the door. And I heard that person's voice.
"Princess, may I come in?"
"Yes, come in, Ilyria."
She was a knight in the Royal Guard who serves me wholeheartedly. Following Gilius's suggestion to keep the number of people who know about the doppelgänger to a minimum, I hadn't told her about it. She didn't know that I've become someone else since the day I decided to turn against my father.
"I've come to escort you. Gilius-dono is also here."
"Finally, that time has come, hasn't it?"
"Princess Pernelle has no need to worry. I will be at your side, severing all obstacles."
"I'm counting on you."
With a slight pang of guilt for deceiving her, I set out. West side of the royal castle, the training ground. To the rebel's headquarters blocking one of the escape routes.
***Read at novelworldtranslations.blogspot.com***
***Please check out ko-fi.com/kettle1!***
***In there you can support me and you can also get to read advance chapters!***
Three hundred members of the resistance gathered at the drawbridge in front of the moat, armed with weapons. The guards inside the castle who heard the commotion assembled at the plaza in front of the main gate.
"What the hell are you guys thinking!!"
"Do you think you can get away with causing such a commotion?!"
Amidst the standoff with the guards, the sun set in the west. Now, it's finally time.
"Uoaaahhh!!!"
We heard it. The battle cry of the rebel knights from the west side of the castle. Simultaneously, the signal smoke rose up.
"Let's go, everyone!!!"
At the same time as the Leader's shout, the curtain of battle fell. Leading the vanguard was me, the Hero Kyrie. Brutogyu, I'm coming to kill you. Drink your fill of water and wait.
[Previous | Table of Contents | Next]

Comments
Post a Comment