The Tale of the Teapot Hero’s Revenge Chapter 40 - I wanted to know you, but it wasn't because you're special



[Previous | Table of Contents | Next]

 

Chapter 40 - I wanted to know you, but it wasn't because you're special

 

It's warm. My body was enveloped in warmth, and as if being lifted from the dark depths, I regained consciousness.

"Hmm... Where am I...?"

When I opened my heavy eyelids, I was inside a tent. Beato was peering at me with a worried expression.

"...!"

"Beato...?"

Ah, I was practically naked. During the battle with Tario, my body was completely torn apart. My clothes were in tatters and covered in blood, so it makes sense that they would have undressed me.

"How long have I been sleeping?"

"..."

Beato took out a piece of parchment and began writing with a brush.

My injuries were mostly patched up, except for the major wounds on my shoulder and thigh. There were still bruises and cuts here and there, and my body was covered in blood. It didn't seem like much time has passed.

"It's been about an hour. We've moved a little away from the original cave and are hiding in a different one."

"I see..."

Beato's eyes were welling up with tears. I must have worried her, made her sad. Maybe it's because I got injured and collapsed. Or maybe it's because I brutally killed Tario right in front of her.

I didn't want that. I wanted Beato to be able to smile.

"Joanna-san carried you, Kyrie-san."

"Then I have to thank her later..."

"..."

When I tried to sit up, I was forcefully stopped. Is she telling me to stay still and rest? Oh, is she a little angry?

"Just stay still!"

Oh, she’s angry. Strangely, I find this a bit heartwarming.

"I'm sorry... I'll stay still..."

"..."

After nodding, she started working again. Carefully closing the wounds and wiping off the blood from my body with a wet towel. She's desperately treating me, taking her time.

(Why does this girl care about me so much...)

Come to think of it, I don't know anything about her. The reasons why she's attached to me, where she came from, who she really is. Her name, Beato, might not even be her real name.

(I want to know more about Beato)

I escaped from Paladis, right?

I didn't care about Beato's background before, but now I'm curious. I was a little confused that I'm starting to think about these things.

(...No, it's just mere curiosity. It's not about Beato being a special existence or anything like that. Yes, if it's something troublesome, I don't want to get involved, so I'll ask in advance.)

Yes, that's what it is. Let's leave it at that.

Thanks to Beato, all my wounds were now closed. Now she's wiping my back with a wet towel. If she's finished with her work, it should be fine to ask now. She didn't need to concentrate anymore.

"...Hey, Beato. Can I ask you something?"

"...?"

"Beato, you came from Paladis, right? Did you escape?"

"!!?"

Oh, she dropped the towel. Well, that's surprising.

"How did you know?"

"Rinkino told me. He said that you escaped from Paladis and that you're an existence that can influence the outcome of this war."

"..."

Beato's face turned bright red. Like she's been scalded by boiling water. Then she kept turning her head round and round, tilting her head multiple times with a troubled expression. Her expressions changed so easily. She really was the complete opposite of me.

"Do you want to know? Are you curious about me?"

"It's not that I'm curious... Well, yes, I am curious. I want to know about Beato."

"!!"

Now her face turned red again. As red as if scalded by boiling water. After hesitating and pondering for a while, she...

"I understand. I will tell you about myself."

She seemed a bit anxious, but it seemed she has made up her mind. She took out multiple pieces of paper and started writing with a pen. It seemed like it's going to be a long story, so she must have prepared them in advance. After finishing writing, she showed one of the papers to me.

"I am not a slave. My name is Beato Tinarie. I am the twin sister of Leiche, the Holy Maiden of Enpyrean."

...Um. First of all, I knew she wasn't a slave. I knew that from the beginning. But the twin sister of the top person in Paladis? It's a sudden and grand scale, and I couldn't grasp it.

"Surprised?"

She even prepared that paper. It was placed conveniently within reach, so she was fully prepared to use it. Beato looked a bit anxious.

"I'm surprised, of course. If that's your position, why did you escape?"

It's already becoming troublesome at this point. Maybe I shouldn't have asked.

"I'm sorry. I can't tell you because it's related to the Church's secrets."

She's hiding that part. There must be a secret that I shouldn't know. I had heard that the Holy Maiden Leiche is a famous person, but I've never seen her in person.

That's why Beato walked around with such confidence. And since they're twins, Leiche and Beato must look exactly alike.

"But still, you risked your life to escape, right...?"

Isn't it dangerous? What if Paladis becomes your enemy?

"Don't worry. Joanna-san is here, so it's fine."

"Joanna? Why Joanna?"

"That person is from Paladis. I didn't know her, but it's true."

Eh, Joanna was from Paladis? That's surprising too.

"Surprised?"

Yes. It's the second time for that paper.

"I learned about it while I was coming here."

"So until then, I didn't know either."

I see. Joanna's actions at Carion's mansion now make sense to me. I thought something was strange. The more I learn, the more I realized how unusually clumsy she was that day.

"Joanna-san settled things with Paladis, so it's okay now."

"Really? Well, that's good then."

"It's alright."

Ah, she folded the paper and reused the latter part.

"So, why were Carion and Rinkino targeting you?"

"Carion knew that I escaped from Paladis and tried to capture me to use me for his benefit."

Using her, huh? That's something that scum would come up with.

"He planned to capture me and hand me over to Paladis in exchange for military support."

I see. If Paladis's large military force were to assist the kingdom, it would certainly impact the outcome of the war. Taking Beato hostage would be much more beneficial for the country than killing me and creating a new hero. It's a twisted idea, but it made sense.

"I understand the situation roughly. But why are you being so kind to me? That's the only thing I don't understand at all."

"...," she blushed again and fell silent.

Well, I was speaking from the beginning.

"...!"

And just as I thought that, she hugged me from behind and wrapped her arms around my stomach.

Hey, I'm currently topless...!

...Wait, is she holding a parchment and spreading it out so that I can see?

"I'm only with Kyrie because of my own selfishness. If it bothers you, I can go my own way. But if it's not bothersome..."

The sentence ends abruptly there. She couldn't continue writing, perhaps. She must have been scared of being rejected or told that she's a nuisance.

"...It's fine, really. If you’re by my side."

"...!"

"...Can I have the towel? I'll wipe myself this time."

After she handed me the wet towel, I thoroughly wiped off the blood and changed into fresh clothes. Beato was now sleeping soundly, making peaceful breathing sounds. I was not sure if it's due to excessive use of magical power or if she's just tired. It's probably both.

"You did well. Thank you, Beato."

"..."

I gently stroked her head, and even though she was sleeping, she smiled happily.

This girl's background was a bit unexpected. She endured such a long journey all alone, to the point of becoming emaciated and worn-out. What was she trying to do?

"Hey, Joanna, you probably know the reason why Beato escaped, right?"

"Huh? When did you realize that I was here?"

"Since a while ago. When you came in? Eavesdropping is such a tacky hobby."

I knew she had been listening near the entrance of the tent. Joanna entered, probably feeling awkward because her eavesdropping was exposed.

"First, at Carion's mansion. You led me to that room to save Beato. Getting caught by the soldiers was your intention to make that room the only option for escape."

"Yes, correct. You understood it well."

"I understand now, especially considering Joanna's cunning. It was such a ridiculous and unnatural blunder."

The unnaturalness became apparent as time passes and trust is built. Back when we first met, when we were practically strangers, I didn't think much of it.

"Is it a sign of the apocalypse for Kyrie-chan to praise me?"

"Don't tease me. ...There's one thing I want to ask. Is Beato safe now?"

"Yes, she's safe. We've settled things. As long as the situation doesn't change drastically."

What's with that suggestive remark? Does that mean if the situation changes, she might be in danger again?

"If things change...?"

When things change...  Just as I thought, if things change, it might become dangerous again. What Joanna was asking is probably whether I'm willing to fight for Beato's sake, even if it means risking everything. Even turning Paradis against us just for Beat's sake.

But that's. It's obvious. There's no reason to risk my life for Beato. My purpose was revenge. As long as I could kill Brutogyu, I don't care about anything else.

...Yet. Why couldn't I give any answer to Joanna's question? What's the reason for this?

 

***Read at novelworldtranslations.blogspot.com***

***Please check out ko-fi.com/kettle1!***

***In there you can support me and you can also get to read advance chapters!***


[Previous | Table of Contents | Next]

Comments

Post a Comment