[Previous | Table of Contents | Next]
Chapter 31 - City on the Front Line
It had been two weeks since we left the capital. After killing Rinkino, there were no more attacks, and it was peaceful. But from here on, peace would not be an option.
"We've arrived, the frontline town."
"So this is Frejenta..."
"..."
The area was filled with the encampments of the kingdom's army, covering the desolate wasteland. Soldiers with exhausted faces were scattered around, surrounded by wooden fences, tents, and horse stables. To the west, there were numerous stone forts. And although I couldn't see their exact appearance, I could make out the figures of many small dots gathering there. They must be the demon army.
Ahead of us on the path we walked, in the middle of the wilderness, there was a high stone wall. Within that wall lies the town of Frejenta, Mel-chan's hometown.
"I never imagined I would come back here..." Mel-chan said sadly.
I never thought I would end up on the frontline either. ...No, come to think of it, I was originally intended to be sent here if it wasn’t for for my power as weak as heating water, but something more intense. I was supposed to fight against the demon army in this wilderness until I died.
"Hey, stop daydreaming and let's enter the town quickly. We're attracting attention."
You're right. Travelers coming to the frontline at a time like this were obviously suspicious. We better enter the town quickly before the soldiers stop us.
Unlike the capital, there were guards at the entrance. Well, that made sense if they didn't want enemy saboteurs or assassins getting in. Although we are exactly that. But here, Mel-chan took action. By showing her resident permit, all of us were allowed through.
"...Is this lax security normal?"
"It's fine. The soldiers had a dead look in their eyes. They must be dealing with various troubles."
Since the previous Hero died, they'd been locked in a staring match all this time. It must be mentally exhausting. The soldiers outside the town all had lifeless faces. The situation in the capital probably hadn't reached them, and they were left wondering why the Hero hadn't come yet.
"There's no one on the streets, and all the shops are closed."
"At a time like this, shops can't stay open. With logistics halted, there's nothing to sell, and most of the residents have probably evacuated."
"...Before it became a battlefield, it used to be much livelier."
Mel-chan explained with a sad expression. Frejenta was known as the city of magic, the country where the art of magic prospered the most among humans. Since the city bordered the demon territory, they had a long history of interaction with the demon race. However, a few years ago, the kingdom invaded, and Frejenta surrendered unconditionally. Since becoming the frontline of the war against the demon race, countless battles have been fought, turning the grasslands into a wasteland, resulting in the deaths of both humans and demons. The city of magic, Frejenta, has become a ghost town as a result.
"I loved this town... That's why its current state is painful..."
"...!"
Beato hugged Mel-chan. She probably couldn't bear to see her on the verge of tears. Beato was that kind of person.
"Be... Beato onee-san..."
"...!"
It's like she's saying, "Don't cry, cheer up." Beato hugged little Mel-chan, truly like an older sister.
"Thank you so much. I'm okay now!"
She managed to cheer her up. I couldn't do something like that. I had been realizing how amazing Beato was lately.
"Oh my, my."
What's Joanna smirking about?
"What's the matter? If you have something to say, just say it clearly."
"Not really? I just thought it was interesting how you've been staring at Beato-chan all this time."
"...Sigh. So, what are we going to do for accommodation?"
It's not good to engage with her. She’d just get more insolent. It's best to change the topic to something normal.
"Accommodation... All the inns are surely closed."
"In that case, I know the perfect place!"
Guided by Mel-chan, we arrived in front of a regular two-story house. There didn't seem to be anyone living here, but maybe...
"This is my house! Feel free to come in!"
As expected, it's Mel-chan's house. The house where her entire family was killed, and Mel-chan herself was abandoned after losing her parents. With the help of her magic key, the magical lock on the door was unlocked, and we entered the house. Oh, surprisingly, it's still clean.
"This is nice. It's perfect as a base of operations."
"I sold off some furniture, so it's not that comfortable."
"It's more than enough. We just need a place to sleep."
"...!"
As long as it couold shelter us from the rain and wind, it's sufficient. Besides, we weren’t planning on staying for long.
"Now that we have acquired a base, let's proceed with the strategy meeting. Is that alright?"
Yes, our reason for coming all this way was to rescue Cain-san's daughter from Tario.
"First, Mel-chan, where can we find the officers of Tario's army?"
"It's at the former royal palace in the center of the town. After the kingdom surrendered, it became their luxurious hotel."
The central palace could be seen even from here. It's a considerably smaller castle with a yellow, round roof compared to the one in the capital. So those bastards had made themselves at home there. If possible, I'd like to wipe them all out.
"I see, the wives should be there too. Next, could you tell us about the geography of this town?"
"Understood!"
In times like these, locals were reliable. Mel-chan spread out a map and even mark the hidden backstreets with a pen. From that. Joanna planned the escape routes.
"Now, we need to know the internal structure of that place... I'll go investigate. Don't worry, I probably won't be back until night. If I don't return even by morning, then you can start worrying."
"W-Wait! What's going on all of a sudden!"
"Well then, goodbye."
No, no, it's one thing to act on a whim, but this was too excessive. She opened the window and leaped ou
"Joanna always acts like that, doesn't she? She's hard to pin down, so free-spirited..."
"Is that so? I have the image of her being a very reliable older sister."
"She's always gone without a trace in the morning and comes back around evening. I don't know where she lives or what she usually does. I trust her and have faith in her, but when I think about it, she's a strange person."
Beato took out paper and a pen. It seemed she wanted to join the conversation.
"Joanna just now was a bit strange. It felt like she had another objective."
"Another objective? Something she didn't tell us?"
"It's just a hunch. But I had that kind of feeling."
Another objective, huh? I had thought before that the mission was too emotionally driven for a leader. Could it be that there's another objective that must not be leaked?
"...Well, never mind. There's no point in thinking about Joanna."
I was not interested in her, after all. She's just someone else.
"Then, Beato-nee-san! Please tell me about Kyrie-nee-san!"
"...♪"
Wait a minute.
"Why were you asking Beato about me?"
"Because Kyrie-nee-san doesn't talk about herself at all, and she doesn't seem interested in anyone other than Beato-nee-san."
"Well, I'm not interested in Beato either."
"...!!?"
Ah, she made a shocked expression. Tears welled up in the corners of her eyes...
"W-Wait, it's not true... I'm a little interested..."
"...♪"
Beato happily embraced me, and the tears completely disappeared from her eyes. Ah, she was fake crying. I had been played like a fiddle.
***Read at novelworldtranslations.blogspot.com***
***Please check out ko-fi.com/kettle1! ***
***In there you can support me and you can also get to read advance chapters!***
Circulating the wind to every corner, the information of the internal structure of the royal palace had been collected. Various information flowed in through the wind... Rumors and all, everything was captured perfectly. This ability is as useful as ever.
"Now, let's fulfill our original purpose, shall we?"
I released the wind that was circulating around the royal palace and leaped up from the spot. I soared high, invisible to anyone, and manipulated the wind to swiftly pass over the city's walls far above, then straight through the wilderness, heading towards the demon clan's camp. I descended rapidly toward the entrance of the main fortress.
"Who are you!"
Oops. If a beautiful woman suddenly fell from the sky would indeed startle anyone. The beastman guarding the entrance pointed his spear at me.
"Wait, she's not an enemy. Show her the way here."
"Yes!"
I heard a voice filled with dignity from deep inside the fortress. Oh my, to come all the way here personally.
I was led into the depths of the fortress and met with a pale-faced, white-haired, and pointed-eared man who carried an air of importance. Well, all demons were pale-faced and have pointed ears, unlike us humans.
"It's been a while, Juna."
"You too, His Highness Taltus, the First Crown Prince. I'm surprised to see you here at the frontline."
Sending both of our successors to the frontline, huh? I thought Seatham and Brutogyu were complete opposites, but perhaps they have some similarities.
"And, as for me, I'm Joanna now. Remember that? It seems you coming here is good news for us too."
"Yes, it's very good news for us. Let's have a thorough conversation until morning, shall we?"
[Previous | Table of Contents | Next]

Thanks for the hard work TL. I feel like this series gets too little appreciation.
ReplyDeletePa ser tan buenisisima tiene pocas visitas que lastima, gracias por traerla
ReplyDelete