The Tale of the Teapot Hero’s Revenge Chapter 30 - Interlude: Pernelle's Determination - Balge's True Intentions
[Previous | Table of Contents | Next]
Chapter - 30 Interlude: Pernelle's Determination・Balge's True Intentions
Several days had passed since General Neil's assassination. The royal palace was currently in utter chaos due to the rumor. The king had razed the village of the Hero and invaded his own territory. This information had spread to the lower ranks of the soldiers, and the already thin trust in the king was plummeting to rock bottom.
(He was always someone who suppressed people through fear alone. If things continue like this, eventually...)
The castle was divided into pro-king and anti-king factions, and was locked in an underground confrontation. Currently, nothing had happened yet. But it felt like a rebellion could erupt in an instant.
...While lost in thought, I seemed to had arrived in front of the princess's room. I confirmed with the head maid who was waiting for me.
"Is the princess here?"
"She returned from her duties and was currently resting."
"I see... Pernelle-sama, this is Ilyria."
"...I can hear you. Please come in."
Her voice still sounded as lifeless. Since learning the truth about the Hero, the princess's face had remained clouded.
"Excuse me."
Entering the room, I found the princess sitting by the window, gazing sadly at the scenery outside.
"...Ilyria, what exactly does it mean to be a member of the royal family?"
"In my opinion, it means being chosen to govern the country and bring peace to the people..."
"Then, can we really call those who harm and kill their own people, who continue foolish conflicts for their own convenience, members of the royal family?"
"That... well..."
Damn it, I gave the textbook answer. That's why I was called stiff and all sorts of things!
"...I'm sorry. I asked a mean question, didn't I?"
The princess was troubled. She didn't know how she should act as a member of the royal family faced with such outrageous tyranny from the king. I was in the same boat, also still unsure of what I should do.
Gilius, who invited me at that time, was now a central figure in the anti-king faction. He had gathered excellent knights under him, making it difficult for the king to make a move.
(Among all the knights, Gilius was the first one to invite me. I was expected to do something, but I'm still not prepared to turn against the king...)
"...Yes, I had made up my mind."
What? What did princess said?
"To defeat my father—Brutogyu, it won't be enough with simple force from Gilius and the others. We need a symbol that can be elevated as a just cause. I had been agonizing over whether I should become that symbol or not."
What...? The princess wasn't simply lamenting in vain. She had been facing her own resolve...
"Ilyria, I assume you had also made the same decision and solidified your resolve?"
"...Yes, of course! I will accompany you wherever you go and protect you with my life! You can count on me, princess!"
I'm sorry, I lied. I made up my mind just now.
"As my sword, protect me and fight with your life on the line. I'm counting on you."
"Yes!"
I knelt before the princess and kissed the back of her offered hand. All of a sudden, the fear I felt about standing against the king seemed like a lie. For this person, I could throw away my life and everything else.
***Read at novelworldtranslations.blogspot.com***
***Please check out ko-fi.com/kettle1! ***
***In there you can support me and you can also get to read advance chapters!***
"Raid. How was today's assassination? Did it go well?"
"Yeah, Balge. Somehow. This makes the fifth one, it's going smoothly."
It's been almost two weeks since my weapon shop was attacked, and Kyrie-chan and the others set off on their journey. During that time, I managed to assassinate five of Brutogyu's high-ranking officials. It's a decent result.
My sister and I were currently hiding in the underground of Raid's shop, where he managed his tools. Since our cover was blown, we couldn't show ourselves or do any work outside. We're just freeloaders now. Only Raid, my childhood friend, could bear with this inconvenience without reservation.
"We're successfully undermining Brutogyu's power. I think you're providing good assistance to your brother."
"We've had casualties too. Three of them were killed due to failed assassinations."
"It was Joanna-san, right? Compared to her, our information-gathering abilities are considerably inferior. We had to be prepared for some failures."
Maybe not as good as Joanna, but you're quite something too. Since the establishment of the Resistance, or even before that when we were fools together in Stige, I had relied on you, partner.
"But still, Gilius-san was amazing. He managed to win over Princess Pernelle."
It was about a week ago when I received this report from my brother. The situation has changed dramatically because of it.
"The anti-king faction within the castle has Princess Pernelle, and on our side, we had the Hero. Two banners of justice and they had shown up at the same time. If we can bring the situation to this point, we're bound to win."
"If the Hero returns safely, but... if she's not here, one wing of our just cause will be missing."
"But even with one wing, we can still fly somehow. The situation has changed significantly with Princess Pernelle on our side."
"Nevertheless, it's still a dangerous gamble, and it could turn into the worst-case scenario. Why did you send her on a rescue mission?"
Naturally, it would raise concerns. The mission seemed too emotionally driven.
"...It's simple. I felt like we had to send her."
"...You know Tario Tartarot Deltirad, don't you? You know how valiant he is."
"Of course. Tario was a man worthy of being Brutogyu's successor. He has the character and strength."
The prince who inherited the worst character and strength of the tyrannical despot. He might even had the power to rival Brutogyu. That's why the objective was to rescue her, emphasizing the need to avoid direct confrontation.
"But still, even if it comes to a fight, I believe Kyrie-chan has a chance to win."
The prince’s alias was the Ice Noble. If there's anyone who had a chance to kill Tario, who employs tactics as his allias name suggests, it's her.
"Either way, if we leave her as she was, she'll definetely die. If the revolution begins and she challenges Brutogyu, she'll be killed in an instant without avenging her enemies, and we'll lose our just cause. It's a guaranteed 100% probability."
Given Kyrie-chan's personality, it would be pointless to try and stop her. If I messed up, even I might be killed.
"If she kills Tario, she can absorb his life force and become much stronger. She might be able to defeat Brutogyuwith that. If I didn't send her to Frejenta, she'll undoubtedly die if she fought the king in the future. So I sent her, thinking that she might be able to kill the prince... And I want to see Kyrie-chan's smile after avenging her enemies."
Sending her into a deathtrap to prevent her from dying. It's a strange story, indeed.
"...I see. If you've thought it through to that extent, then there must be another reason why you sent our valuable Joanna-san, right?"
"Yeah, if anything, this was the main plan."
I spread a map on the desk in the underground room. Then, I placed one chess piece in the capital and two in Frejenta.
"Even if the revolution succeeds, Tario's main force will still be intact. If they return and attack the capital, we'll be easily crushed by a force of 15,000 soldiers."
"It's terrifying. After all, they're the strongest army that conquered the surrounding countries."
I knocked down the piece representing the capital with one of the pieces from Frejenta. This was the worst scenario after the success of the revolution.
"That's why we'll use this piece here. The alliance of 5,000 demons and demi-humans. We'll inform them of the revolution and had them secure the rear."
"We’ll make Tario's army hesitate and if he try to retreat to the capital, they'll be attacked from behind. If they don't move, it's still fine. With their supply cut off from the capital, their army will collapse."
With this, Tario would also be cornered. There weren’t any holes in this plan. It would definitely work. After losing Cain-san, I came up with this strategy after racking my brain until I had a fever from thinking.
"...So Joanna-san will be the one to inform the demi-humans?"
"Yeah, that's right. She's the only one we can trust with it."
She was the most suitable person for the job with her background, which shocked me quite a bit when it was revealed to me. She would never side with the kingdom, and it’s certain this negotiation would be a success.
"...Yes, considering her background as well, this plan will definitely succeed."
"I'm relieved to hear that..."
I let out a deep sigh and leaned back on the backrest. Finally, the revolution would succeed. We'd drag Brutogyu down from his throne, kill him, and avenge our homeland and everyone.
"It took ten years... So long."
"Yeah, it's been long. But it's all coming to an end."
Ah, it's coming to an end. Finally. When Kyrie-chan returns, the revolution would commence. So, please, come back safely. You're our goddess of victory.
[Previous | Table of Contents | Next]

Comments
Post a Comment