[Previous | Table of Contents | Next]
Chapter 25 - Departure in the Dark Night
We gathered the belongings we could take from the basement and living space. We then divided them between our travel supplies and the belongings of the Littner siblings, which would be moved to a designated shelter.
While Joanna and the leader were busy preparing, I talked with Melo-chan, "First of all, I'm sorry for suddenly involving you in something dangerous."
"It's okay. ...I was definitely surprised to the point of death, though."
Well, it's understandable to be surprised after suddenly being attacked by a group of men with the intention of murder, and then their heads exploded, scattering their brains. It would be strange not to be surprised.
I went to Melo-chan because there was an important I wanted to talk about. I originally didn't plan to divulge more information than necessary, but I couldn't avoid it now.
"We don't have much time, so I'll explain briefly. I'll tell you everything, from my true identity to the Resistance, and I'll also ask you to come to Frejenta with us. But there is a possibility that you'll be recognized as part of the Kingdom's Resistance. You haven't been seen by the surviving guys, so you can still turn back now. What do you say?"
Melo-chan was silent, lost in thought, which was very understandable as it's an important decision.
"It's okay to decline. If you don't want to be involved, we won't force you."
It was a little sly of me to ask her this way, but I meant what I said. If she says she doesn't want to go, I'll give up completely.
"I'll go!"
...Well, well, with such enthusiasm. It's an important decision, she should think more carefully about it.
"...You can take your time to think, you know? It seems like the preparations aren't finished yet."
"I've decided to go! No more thinking!"
"Why? What reason is there for you to want to go to such lengths?"
"I've said it before, right? My parents were killed in the war."
That's right, she did say that. When we first met, she had said she lost her parents in the war and had escaped from Frejenta.
"...But in reality, it's a little different. The city of Frejenta didn't become a battlefield."
Trembling with clenched fists, Melo-chan spoke in a strained voice. "My family was killed by General Tario, the first prince and commander of the expeditionary force..."
What she told me afterwards was a truly disgusting story. Tario was so fond of women that he even brought twelve wives with him on his expeditions. Melo-chan's older sister, who was reputed to be beautiful in the city, caught the attention of that scum.
Her sister pleaded with Tario to spare her parents. But they were killed. And as a bonus, her fiance was left with only his head. After losing her parents and fiance, her sister, who was forcibly made Tario's thirteenth wife, took her own life three days later, after helping Melo-chan escape from the city and away from Tario.
"I can't forgive that man. So please let me help."
...I see, I understood her feelings. Then, I could count on her.
The first son was just like his father, Brutogyu. We mustn't let that worm live. But I mush remember, our goal was to rescue. If possible, that is.
"It seems like we've come to an agreement."
"...!"
It seemed they have finished organizing the belongings as well. Two large backpacks, one for me and one for Melo-chan, were placed down with a thud. Meanwhile, Beato and Joanna were already carrying theirs, fully prepared.
"We'll go ahead. While you guys are away, we'll proceed with the preparations for the uprising with my brother. When you come back, let's cause trouble together!"
"Aniki, it's about time to go!"
"Alright! Well then, everyone, come back alive."
"...Yeah, I'll also pray for everyone's safety."
The leader disappeared into the darkness, and now it's our turn. It's dangerous to stay in the capital any longer.
"Let's go. There's no farewell for our departure, unfortunately, and it's pitch black outside."
"That's fine. In fact, it suits us."
Beato, Joanna, Melo-chan, and myself. With each of us carrying a large backpack, we headed towards the west. A relatively long journey of about one month, both going and returning, had begun.
***
Early in the morning, the Minister delivered information to Brutogyu.
"My men have found the Hero, Kyrie. It seems she has set off towards the west, so I ordered them to pursue and dispose of her."
"Finally found her, huh? It's late."
"My apologies."
Even Gustav, the King's right-hand man, wouldn't survive if he provoked the King's anger. This dangerous thrill, however, gave him a sense of being alive. That's why he pledged loyalty to this tyrant.
"And there's one more thing. We have discovered the leader of the Resistance. His name is Balje Littner, the younger brother of Knight Gilius."
"Oh, I see. Now, I understand."
"Gilius cooperating with the Resistance has become highly likely. What will you do?"
"Good, let him swim."
The king had known from the beginning that Gilius wasn't wholeheartedly loyal. Knowing that, he was being kept close.
"He seems to be actively recruiting lately."
"I-Is it really alright? Even though you know that much..."
"If he can flush out the rebels for us, then he’s useful to us. He will round them up for us."
The King’s decision was made with absolute confidence in his own power and authority. The Minister had no right to interfere with the King's judgment. He only bowed his head and quietly left the place.
***Read at novelworldtranslations.blogspot.com***
***Please check out ko-fi.com/kettle1! ***
***In there you can support me and you can also get to read advance chapters!***
After leaving the capital, we passed through the plains, and crossed a river. We have arrived at the foot of the mountains that surround the basin from all sides, on the western side. It took only about half a day to get here. It was a relatively short journey compared to going to the village of Ribo where I used to live, that was also in the mountains on the southern side of the capital, which was about half a day away.
"Is everyone tired?"
Although it wasn't that far, we'd been walking continuously since last night, hence Joanna, who was leading the way, turned around to check on everyone's condition.
"I'm fine. Beato seems fine too."
"......♪"
Maybe it's because Beato has been eating delicious meals prepared by Strah every day that’s she's very energetic and healthy now. Her skin was glossy, and she had gained some weight. She's still thin though.
"But hey, can you stop clinging to me and linking arms?"
"......?"
"Well, even if you give me that 'Why?' face, my question is 'Why?' too."
In the end, it seemed she wouldn't stop walking with her arm linked with mine.
Along the way, Melo-chan gave up early and was now being carried by Joanna, which looked nice and comfortable.
We continued climbing the mountain path which was wide and easy to walk on, as it was used for transporting supplies and equipment to the front lines. We made steady progress and managed to cross the mountain by evening.
Before the sun set, we found a nice spot by the riverside, set up our tents, and prepared for camping. Afterwards, we then discussed the future course with Melo-chan included.
"The transportation route diverts to the south from here. If we go straight, we'll reach Harp’s Great Forest."
"Is it dangerous? This forest?"
"There are many monsters inhabiting it, and the road is not well-maintained."
I see, then we should take the detour through the main road, which Joanna seemed to agree as well.
With the plan decided, we all worked together to cook, concluding the first day's journey. As I wrapped myself in a sleeping bag inside the tent, Beato snuggled up closely. This child, she's the same as always, even in times like this.
(Well, it's fine. It's more calming this way.)
The feeling of safety with Beato next to me, combined with the tiredness from not sleeping last night, made me fall into a dream in no time.
[Previous | Table of Contents | Next]

Comments
Post a Comment