[Previous | Table of Contents | Next]
Chapter 20 - Traitor
I left the capital and walked east for about thirty minutes before veering off the road into the forest. After pushing through the bushes and walking for a while, I arrived at the hidden Resistance meeting place, which was quite rundown. This was only my second time coming here since the meeting about the attack on Neil.
To avoid suspicion, the leader and I left the shop separately, so now I was alone, since Beato and Strah were staying behind.
Many members had already gathered inside the rundown building, and among them was Cain-san. I didn't want to let the leader know that he's the traitor, since he wouldn't understand anyway, and I didn't want to cause unnecessary shock. I had to handle this alone.
While lost in my thoughts, I felt a tap on my shoulder.
"Hero-chan, why do you look so scary? ...Ah, you always do."
"Joanna, you're here."
I didn't notice her. But it’s understandable, since she's good at concealing her presence. Truly a professional in infiltration and gathering information.
...Although she was discovered by the soldiers at first.
"You still look good dressed as a boy."
"Are you complementing me?"
"I am! Come on, smile."
"I can't smile..."
She's still annoying with the way she interacts, but it still eased my mood a little.
"Alright, everyone, sorry for the wait. Are we all here?"
After a while, the leader arrived, and with his arrival, all the key members of the Resistance were now present. Except for Joanna and me, everyone else was a long-time member trusted by the leader.
After a brief headcount, the leader began to make a big announcement, "Listen up, everyone. Brace yourselves for what I'm about to tell you. Gilius has started gathering the remaining anti-kingdom faction within the royal palace. He's using various methods to recruit them."
There's a buzz of excitement.
"And that's not all. Princess Pernelle may even join our side. It seems he's already started trying to win over her personal knights. There's nothing more reassuring than having her on our side. Isn't that right!?"
...This information must not reach Brutogyu's faction at any expense. However, with the leader naively trusting everyone, the revolution would definitely fail. Allowing this situation to persist was not an option, so I must take action to silence that individual, no matter what.
"After Gilius gathers the anti-kingdom faction, we will rise up together with him. We will overthrow the king and fulfill our long-cherished desire! The day to avenge our respective homelands in Stige is just around the corner! Are you all prepared!?"
"YES!!!"
***Read at novelworldtranslations.blogspot.com***
***Please check out ko-fi.com/kettle1! ***
***In there you can support me and you can also get to read advance chapters!***
Overthrowing Brutogyu was not only my long-cherished desire but also the shared goal of these people. To ensure the safe start of this undertaking, which was finally becoming a reality, I absolutely must deal with Cain-san.
After the meeting, the members dispersed. The leader was talking with his close friend, Raid, about various things. This opportunity for them to gather like this must be rare, as the other members were also enjoying friendly conversations. Among them, one person seemed different.
"Balge, I'm going home first. I feel bad leaving the shop unattended for too long."
"Sure thing, Cain-san. I'm sorry for calling you out when you're busy, but I really wanted to talk to you all."
"Ah, yeah. I see. Well then."
The leader smiled at him, trying to appear calm, but it's clear he's flustered.
After Cain-san left the hideout, I quietly started following him. He walked deeper and deeper into the forest, in the opposite direction of the main road. Was he meeting with the kingdom's officials around here? Or perhaps, had he noticed my presence--?
"What brings you here, Hero-chan?"
Cain-san stopped in a slightly open area suitable for battle. So, he did notice me.
"Cain-san, if you're going back to the capital, you're going in the wrong direction."
"I was thinking of picking some mountain vegetables."
"...I see."
That's quite a weak excuse. After all, his reason for leaving the meeting earlier than expected was because he wanted to go back to the shop.
Cautiously, while pretending everything was normal, I approached him, intending to touch his head and deliver a single strike to kill him.
"By the way, Hero-chan, I wonder if you're acquainted with the person I was meeting?"
"…Who?"
I stopped in my tracks. No good, I couldn’t reach him. This person had no openings at all. Thinking that, I slowly placed my hand on the Sword Breaker hanging at my waist.
"That person, the official from the castle. Remember how they acted like they knew me that time?"
Ah, I was completely exposed. From the beginning, he knew everything. Coming this deep into the forest was also to dispose of me without anyone noticing. So convenient, then this became a simple matter.
I drew the Sword Breaker, gripped it tightly, and struck at his back, intending to cut him down with a single blow.
"But, Hero-chan, such a wide swing won't work."
"Gagiiii...!"
My attack was easily intercepted. With the tip of his short spear, Cain-san turned around and parried it effortlessly.
"Still no improvement. Didn't Balge teach you how to fight? I'm ashamed to be his master."
The gentle-looking middle-aged man's gaze sharpened.
"...!"
I was forcefully pushed back with great strength, almost losing my balance as I took two or three steps backward. Then, Cain-san took out four short sticks from his bag and quickly connected them to form a makeshift spear. In no time, a splendid spear appeared before my eyes.
"What's wrong? You have a face that says things didn't go as planned. Did you really think you could kill me all by yourself?"
"Master... so, you were the leader's..."
"Yeah, that's right. I'm the one who taught that kid how to fight when he was a child."
I see, no wonder the leader trusted him so much. And no wonder he exuded such an intimidating presence. This person was much stronger than me.
"Why would someone like you betray us...!"
"There's no need for me to explain. You're going to die here!"
He momentarily gathered his strength, and with a deep step forward, he thrust sharply. I reflexively moved sideways, but honestly, I couldn't see the strike. In an instant, the place where I had just been standing was struck with his spear with such force that the air whistled loudly. The bushes at the tip of the spear rustled from the impact, and the trunk of a tree beyond it was now slightly dented.
This person was no joke. If I were hit head-on like that, I would get a hole in my body, and I would be able to see the other side. Hence, I need to create some distance for now. Since it's a spear, he shouldn’t be able to swing it around in densely packed areas like the woods. I'd lure him into a favorable position and then--
"You think you can escape?"
The moment I tried to run, he managed to get in front of me. His raised spear swept horizontally, deflecting my attack.
"Close call...!"
"Ooh!"
His spear passed over my head as I fell backward.
"Take this!"
While falling, I swung my sword, aiming for his legs. Even if I couldn't sever them, if I could injure him, his movements should slow down.
"Your read was off!"
And he effortlessly avoided it with a vertical jump. On top of that, he scolded me. The tip of Cain-san’s spear, as he jumped, was directed towards me. If things continue like this, I'd surely be impaled.
"It won't go that way...!"
I twisted my body and rolled on the ground to make an emergency retreat. In an instant, the spear pierced the spot where my face was just a moment ago. My hat fell off, and the spear created a hole through it, but I couldn't afford to care about that now. By the time I stood up, he was already aiming the spear at me and relentlessly attacked.
"Cain-san, you're too strong...! Why are you so... strong...!"
I barely defended against his continuous thrusts. Small wounds appeared on my arms and legs, and my voice unintentionally becomes rough. Because, you know, I never thought this old man would be so strong. I shouldn't have boasted about taking care of him alone.
"I thought you were just an ordinary old man... What are you...!"
"What am I? I am Cain Node, the strongest spear master in Stige."
"S-Strongest...!?"
"Surprised? But it's just a hollow title for a man who couldn't protect anything. Not the country, not his wife or daughter, not even his pride..."
[Previous | Table of Contents | Next]

Comments
Post a Comment